Managed SOC, also referred to as SOC as a Service, is a subscription-based service that allows businesses to outsource threat detection and response. Based on the concept of transforming the Internal Security Operations Center (SOC) into an external cloud-based service, the managed SOC offers external cyber security experts to IT organizations that monitor your logs, devices, cloud environments, and network for known and evolving advanced threats.
SOC as a Service, which is positioned as a managed service offering, provides businesses with a team of cybersecurity experts dedicated to monitoring, detecting, and investigating threats across their entire enterprise. In some cases, the outsourced security team can resolve detected threats on its own, but in others, the SOC team collaborates with internal IT teams to resolve detected threats.
A SOC as a Service can provide round-the-clock monitoring without requiring businesses to invest heavily in security software, hardware, or other infrastructure. Instead, organizations can quickly gain access to a SOC and begin monitoring for cyberthreats, improving their security posture in a cost-effective manner.
Why should you use a managed SOC?
Organizations that are serious about their cybersecurity posture may quickly realize how much money and time it will take to hire security experts, negotiate and purchase security software and infrastructure, set up and configure the SOC, and then begin monitoring for threats.
As a result, when companies consider the challenges of launching their own SOC, the following issues may come up:
- You have limited internal security and/or SOC expertise – Managed SOC providers have extensive experience managing the security operations of organizations from all over the world in every industry vertical.
- There isn’t enough money in the budget for capital expenditures – With SOC as a Service, the capital investment required to set up a SOC is exchanged for a single, low-cost monthly operating expense.
- It takes too long to set up your own SOC – The time spent forming a SOC team, acquiring infrastructure, and licensing and implementing software is offset by the SOC as a Service provider’s already-up and-running SOC.
- An internal SOC may not improve the security posture of the company – An organization’s security posture – both on-premises and in the cloud – can be immediately improved by combining cutting-edge threat intelligence, seasoned cybersecurity analysts, and state-of-the-art security monitoring and response orchestration solutions.
- It’s possible that an internal SOC isn’t cost-effective – A managed SOC service can be far less expensive than setting up a SOC on one’s own. In many cases, the monthly cost of SOC as a Service is less than the cost of hiring just one or two internal security analysts (let alone the cost of establishing the SOC itself). SOC as a Service is a cost-effective option at a fraction of the cost of an internal SOC.
With SOC as a Service, businesses can rest easy knowing that their entire network environment is constantly monitored for new cyberthreats by cybersecurity experts, all for a fraction of the cost of doing it themselves.
What are the advantages of SOC as a Service for an organization?
Threat detection, threat response, staffing, and budgeting can all benefit from a managed SOC. The following are some of the advantages:
SOC complexity is reduced.
Most organizations don’t have the time or expertise to design, implement, configure, test, manage, maintain, upgrade, and operate an internal SOC well, if at all. Using a SOC as a Service provider simplifies the process; you pay for services that are already provided by a SOC.
Increases deployment speed
The deployment time is significantly reduced because a SOC is not required. Some SOC as a Service providers can be up and running and monitoring an organization’s environment in less than a month, rather than taking quarters or years.
Expertise on the spot
Not every company has cybersecurity experts on staff, and not every company can afford to hire them. Organizations that use SOC as a Service gain access to a team of cybersecurity experts and analysts who are trained and experienced in detecting and resolving today’s advanced cybersecurity threats.
Detection and response to threats are improved.
In short, SOC as a Service providers are frequently better equipped than their clients to detect and respond to threats. SOC as a Service increases the speed, efficiency, and effectiveness of threat detection and response capabilities far beyond that of internal security teams by leveraging the latest threat intelligence, a team of dedicated security experts, best-of-breed security solutions, and automated response orchestration.
Secure at a low cost
The same factors that go into SOC complexity (designing, implementing, configuring, testing, managing, maintaining, upgrading, and operating a SOC) add to an organization’s overall cost. SOC as a Service is a cost-effective option because it allows organizations to pay for each aspect of an internal SOC instead of making a single monthly payment. SOC as a Service looks even better with the relatively safe assumption that costs will be significantly reduced, matched with improved levels of security.
Do you need help managing your network security? Get support from an experienced MSSP by contacting Diamatix today. We are ready to help!